Psychiatry and
Behavioral Sciences

Application Procedure

The Stanford residency in Adult Psychiatry interviews applicants for twelve PGY-1 positions. We General Information
When do I apply?
How do I apply for a PGY-1 position?
How do I apply for a PGY-2 position?
What are we looking for?
When are interviews held?
Where can I stay?
Important information for international students
California licensure
receive over 400 applications for internship positions and invite about 90 to interview. Although the vast majority of past and current residents are US graduates, particularly outstanding foreign medical graduates are considered.

General Information

Stanford only participates in the National Residency Matching Program (NRMP) through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS).

Within the NRMP and ERAS we offer two tracks:

Categorical [NRMP Program Code: 1820400C0]: main residency match for all PGY-1 applicants
Research C [NRMP Program Code: 1820400C1]: for PGY-1 applicants with particularly strong research interests or backgrounds

When do I apply?

With the exception of the MSPE, all complete applications must be received by September 15. We strongly encourage you to submit your completed applications prior to this date, as the interviewing schedule fills quickly.

The MSPE is due on October 1.

Applications received after November 2 will not be screened.

How do I Apply for a PGY-1 position?

A complete application includes the following documents:

Please use myERAS Applicant Document Tracking System (ADTS) to track the status of your documents. Due to the large volume of applications, our program will not be able to let you know which items have been received.

  1. ERAS application
  2. Personal statement
  3. Four (4) letters of recommendation, preferably from faculty members who have worked with you in clinical settings, especially from medicine, pediatrics, surgery, and psychiatry.
  4. Medical Student Performance Evaluation (formerly known as the Dean's Letter)
  5. Official medical school transcripts
  6. Curriculum vitae (The ERAS formatted CV is sufficient)
  7. Official copy of your United States Medical Licensing Examination scores.

    3750 Market Street
    Philadelphia, PA 19104-3190
    Telephone 215-590-9600

    (If you are enrolled in an AAMC approved medical school in the US or Canada, we will accept a copy of your school's report of your scores provided it is verified as a true copy by your Registrar and stamped with the School seal.)
  8. Standard Passport Photo

If you are an International Medical Graduate, a copy of your ECFMG certificate, Evaluation Status Letter from the Medical Board of California, and ECFMG and Flex/USMLE exam scores. We will not review your application without these documents.

| Top |

How do I apply for a PGY-2 position?

Individuals wishing to apply for a PGY-2 position must email the residency office ( if there is an available position for the upcoming academic year.

What are we looking for?

We base selection upon a number of factors. In particular we examine your academic performance (specifically in your Psychiatry Clerkship), dedication to clinical care, personal qualities including self-motivation and intellectual curiosity, letters of recommendation, clinical and/or research performance. We are looking for applicants who we believe will make exceptional colleagues four years down the road.

When are interviews held?

Categorical track interview days are held on Thursdays from the middle of October through late January. Research track interviews are held on Fridays.

We will begin reviewing files as they are completed in September before the MSPE comes out. If you receive an invitation to interview, please reply as soon as possible to arrange an interview date.

Where can I stay when I come to interview?

One listing of area hotels with prices can be found at the following link If money is tight, feel free to email us ( and we can see about finding a current resident who can host you for your stay in Palo Alto.

| Top |

Important information for International Medical Graduates

All applicants to the Residency Training Program must be eligible for medical licensure in the State of California. Graduates of foreign medical schools should contact the Medical Board of California to ensure the requirements to obtain a license and practice medicine in this state have been met. You must obtain an 'Evaluation Status Letter' (or PTAL) from the Medical Board of California, stating that your credentials are adequate to practice in this state and submit this letter with your application so your file may be reviewed.

To process your residency application, we must have the 'Evaluation Status Letter' (or PTAL) from the Medical Board of California and a copy of your ECFMG certificate.

Foreign Medical Graduates with Previous U.S. Residency Training

The Medical Board of California does not allow a year of grace for graduates of foreign medical schools who have completed previous residency training in the United States. For example, a Geropsychiatry Fellow who has successfully finished four years of a general psychiatry residency in Massachusetts must be licensed prior to commencing clinical training at Stanford. (U.S. medical school graduates are allowed a one-year grace period if previous training was outside California.)

You must also possess a J-1 Visa through the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG) and a letter from your home government or country of present residency, stating there is a need in that country for the skills to be acquired in the United States.

You may reach the Medical Board of California at:

Medical Board of California
2005 Evergreen Street, Suite 1200
Sacramento, CA 95815
Telephone 916-263-2382 or 1-800-633-3233

Guidelines for International Medical Graduates

Educational requirements for physicians who have received their M.D. degree or its equivalent outside the United States or Canada are outlined below:

Non-Canadian Visa Requirements

All trainees in residency and clinical fellowship programs will be placed on ECFMG sponsored J-1 visas. Stanford University Hospital and Clinics does not sponsor such trainees for the H-1B visa.

ECFMG requires a valid ECFMG certificate obtained by successful completion of their qualifying examinations (VQE, FMGEMS, NBME, or USMLE) coupled with the appropriate English language examination to be eligible for a visa. Allow 120 working days for ECFMG to process an initial visa.

For further information contact the Educational Commission for Foreign Medical Graduates (ECFMG), 3624 Market Street, Philadelphia, PA 19104-2685 Telephone 215-386-5900

Canadian Visa Requirements

Graduates of Canadian medical schools will be placed on ECFMG sponsored J-1 visas. They are not required to take the qualifying examinations such as FMGEMS, NBME, and USMLE in order to obtain their visas.

At this time, the government of Canada is restricting approval of physicians wishing to obtain clinical training outside Canada. Stanford University Hospital and Clinics is unable to obtain a J-1 visa without the consent of the Canadian government.

| Top |

California Licensure

These licensure requirements are for California only. If you intend to train or practice in another state please contact their respective Medical Board. In addition to the examinations listed above, one year of ACGME approved residency training in the United States or Canada must be completed. This year must include four months of medicine, or surgery, or obstetrics and gynecology, or pediatrics.

Exemption from Licensure: Stanford University Hospital and Clinics is unable to use Section 2111 and Section 2113 of the Business and Professions Code for the purpose of residency and clinical fellowship training.

Pathway for a California Physician's License

  1. ECFMG certification (based on successful completion of USMLE Parts I and II).
  2. File a licensing application with the Medical Board of California. (Applications may be obtained from the Medical Board of California, 2005 Evergreen Street, Suite 1200, Sacramento, CA 95815, Telephone 916-263-2382 or 1-800-633-3233). The Medical Board will review your application and determine if you meet the requirements to begin a residency in California.
  3. Complete two years of ACGME approved residency training. During this time, four months of medicine, or surgery, or obstetrics and gynecology, or pediatrics are required.
  4. Complete USMLE Part III.

| Top |

Stanford Medicine Resources:

Footer Links: